The Knight House dates back to 1796. This small Cape Cod-design building is located on the Auburn Riverwalk near the West Pitch Park. An adjoining small shoe shop contains tools and equipment that demonstrate how some Auburn residents made their living at that time in the city’s history.
The Knight House is not the oldest house in Auburn -- it is the oldest frame house in the Goff Corner area, which is downtown Auburn, and is typical of houses built at the time.
Records show that the house has had 12 owners and was moved six times. It originally was located on Cross Street near North River Road, nearly a mile from the present site. It probably was originally built on a 100-acre tract by settler Caleb Lincoln, a Revolutionary War veteran who soon conveyed it to Hezekiah Wyman, of Bath.
After a succession of six owners, the house was sold to Nathaniel Knight in 1864. Knight had it moved to growing Goff’s Corner village, which began near what is now the corner of Court and Main Streets.
Please contact us for the date and time of the next scheduled tour.
Your donation will help the Society bring special presentations and maintain its priceless collection of photos, books, maps, and many artifacts that are made accessible to schools and the public.